Molds can produce a variety of allergenic substances, odorous chemicals, and toxic metabolites. When it multiplies and spreads indoors,
high levels of mold can cause a spectrum of health effects.
•Individuals who are more susceptible includes: Newborn children, the elderly and the very young, compromised immune system & Respiratory problems.
•People get exposed to mold by inhaling spores and skin/eye contact -- actively-growing mold also releases chemicals to the air which people breathe.
•Tolerance/susceptibility to molds varies in the population. Health impacts can vary greatly from person to person.
•Allergic symptoms are the most common problems (e.g., mucous membrane irritation, rhinitis, and rashes)
•More severe effects (e.g., asthma attacks, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, infections, or toxic reactions) may also arise
Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin to grow; Mold has the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases potentially toxic substances (mycotocins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores can cause allergic reactions to sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).
Reactions to mold can occur immediately or be delayed. Molds can cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. The research on mold and its health effects is still ongoing.
We offer comprehensive mold remediation services including: